So… 2015 ay? Don’t know about you guys but I have a major case of the January blues – not helped whatsoever by the fact that a stinking cold chose NYE to rear its ugly head and has only gotten worse since!
Now the excesses of Christmas are over, even the perpetually Hungry Swans are thinking about eating more healthily. Sod the ‘Dryathalon’ though – if you’re doing this, massive respect to you. Seriously. Alcohol is pretty much the only thing that makes January bearable. Also, no self-employed person ever did Dry January – that tax return just doesn’t get submitted, let alone paid, without the lubrication of a decent bottle of red along with your blood, sweat and tears.
If, like us, you’re thinking your system could do with a major dose of vitamins to counteract the chocolate/cake/turkey/all-the-food-in-the-world consumed in December, look no further than this recipe. It’s so easy you can do it even with a severe case of ‘January brain’ and is full of vitamins and all that jazz. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover cooked veg you happen to have lying around, which is why it’s called ‘mostly’ carrot soup. Having said that, leftovers are strictly optional, the soup also tastes great without any extras. Mummy Swan tends to make this after a big family dinner, and it was she (of course) who came up with the name.
You will need:
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 carrots (about 500g), chopped
(Optional) any leftover cooked veg; parsnips/roasties/red cabbage/peas are all good – throw them in!
½ tub phili
What to do:
- Melt a large knob of butter in a big pan (with some chilli oil if you want your soup to have a bit of a kick), add your onion, leeks and garlic.
- Put the lid on the pan and ‘sweat’ the veg over a low-ish heat for about 10m. Stir regularly to make sure nothing catches on the bottom of the pan
- Add the chopped carrots, stir, then add your stock and simmer until the carrots are cooked (about 20m)
- Add any leftover veg once the carrots are cooked
- Add your phili and season with black pepper
- Done! Simple
And if you need EVEN MORE vitamins (you animal, you…) try our super healthy smoothie – if that doesn’t get you feeling chipper nothing will!